The village Křtiny lies 14 km north east of Brno. Its surroundings have been inhabited since ancient times. The first written records of the Monastery of Premonstratensian women by the Church of the Virgin Mary comes from the 13th century. Originally there were two churches – the Czech one dated from 1299 and the German one, gothic from the 15th century. Both churches were rebuilt and extended around the year 1650. A complex of Baroque buildings and a magnificent cathedral were constructed here in the first half of the 18th century according to the designs of J. B. Santini. It is a very popular pilgrimage place.